Thursday, January 24, 2013

"With a firm reliance on divine Providence"

Yay!  The picture uploader is fixed!
Hello, everyone!  I hope this blog finds you well, and that for those of you in the East, you are doing you best to stay warm.  As for the title to this blog.....I hope you can tell me from which important historical document it comes....
It was a quick, but very cold week for me in Providence.  We arrived on a balmy Monday afternoon, and I laid pretty low that evening, save a trip to the mall next door.  My week was spent, primarily, getting ready for my Johnny Cash tribute show, Walkin' The Line.  However, I was able to see the sights a bit, and sample at least a smidege of what Providence had to offer. 
During the day on Tuesday I walked around a bit and took in some of the beautiful architecture in Providence.  Later in the evening, I made my way to the Providence Performing Arts Center; what an amazingly gorgeous theatre.  Built in the early 1920's it's one of the many historic Loew's theatres that are still in existence.  It's also one of the many theatres we visit that have murals for each show that has come through there for the last few years.  It's not only cool to look at all of the murals and see what famous performers have been through each city, but also to see so many friends who have passed through in various shows.  The most interesting part of opening night in Providence was that Jam and I took part in a new revolution of theatre going: Tweet seats.  During the show, the two of us were on Twitter, messaging back and forth with patrons in the back row as they watched.  It was really interesting to see their comments AS the show was going on, and it even landed me an intereview with the Associated Press!  How cool is that?  I'll make sure to let you all know when it comes out. 
Wednesday was spent, yet again, preparing for my show.  On Thursday, we had a rehearsal on stage (pictured above) that was very different from our usual rehearsals.  Austin had us all sit in a cirlce, and we basically just jammed through the show; passing verses and solos back and forth.  It was a great way to just kinda find our groove as a band, and also for everyone to remember that THAT is what that night really was; just a bunch of guys sitting around and sharing their love for music.  My parents and 3 of their friends came in that day, because I went on as Sam Phillips that evening.  As long as I have been on tour, and as many times as my parents have seen the show, they had never seen me as Sam.  So, it was a treat for me to not only perform (it had been nearly 7 months since I had been on as Sam), but also for my parents to see me do something completely different. 
On Friday, I said goodbye to my parents and spend a good amount of the day with Ben, our new Jerry Lee.  Talking about the show, our philosophies on theatre, and then seeing Django Unchained.  Damn.  Talk about a great movie. 
Again on Saturday, I prepared for my show.  Susan was nice enough to help me clean up my motorcycle boots, and to alter my "show" pants.  She is truly a saint.  I packed everything up as I left the theatre that night, and got ready for my early flight to Arizona the next morning. 
I'm writing you now from Mesa, AZ, where I have done 3 peformances of my tribute show, with one more tonight, and one Saturday.  But, I'll talk more about that in my next blog.  I have to say though, it's very strange to know that my tour peeps are still trucking along, and that I am not with them.  But, I'll be joining them again in just a few short days, so it will be a very nice reunion. 
Well, that's about it from Providence, but I hope this finds all of you well.  More next week about my show, and then I rejoin the tour in Hershey, PA!  See y'all soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment