Saturday, January 19, 2013

"Breakfasts come and go, Renee. But Hartford? The Whale? Hey, they only beat Vancouver..once, maybe twice in a lifetime"

Not so pleased that the picture uploader still isn't working.....grrrrrrrrrr


Click here to see my pictures from Hartford on my Facebook page!

Oh well!!  I hope everyone is well!  Nothing like starting off a blog with a quote from one of my favorite movies, Mallrats.  It was a great week in Hartford!  I wish I had some crazy stories or lots of exciting news for you....but I don't.  In fact, there's one way to sum up my free time in Hartford.

Hot dogs.

Now, I know what you are thinking...."What does he mean, hot dogs?  Like, he just sat around and ate hot dogs?'

Yes.  Yes I did. 

Ok, that's not all I did.  I think that with the long stretch in DC and the holidays, we were all looking for a quiet week.  Though Hartford is a great little city, I would have to say that the majority of the cast didn't really do a whole lot.  And there is certainly nothing wrong with that. 

Opening night marked the first show for our new boys, James Barry as Carl Perkins and Ben Goddard as Jerry Lee Lewis.  The audience in Hartford ate the show up.  It was just what those boys needed to give them a little confidence, and really give them a warm welcome to our family.  I really can't say enough good things about these guys.  I couldn't have hand picked two more talented and personally amazing guys to come on tour.  Just a great attitude, professional work ethic, and a passion for performing.  We couldn't be happier to have them out here with us. 

Now to the important part of the week.....Woody's Hot Dogs.  Good lord.  If I lived in Hartford, I would probably eat there every day, and thus, I would weigh 700 or 800 pounds.  All of their hot dogs are foot long, and the buns are prepared on the grill....they come out looking more like a perfectly made grilled cheese sandwich than a hot dog bun.  They have tons of amazing dogs on the menu: I tried the Chicago, the Saint Bernard (kraut, swiss cheese and deli mustard), the Reuben (kraut, swiss and thousand island dressing), the Baked Bean (just like it sounds...New England Baked Beans on a dog), and my own concoction of pulled pork and slaw.  However, the dog they are famous for, and undoubtedly the best hot dog I have ever had in my life, was the Deputy Dog: topped with home-made pulled pork, melted cheddar cheese and barbecue sause.  Wow.  Just unreal.  I made fast friends with the owners (I went there 5 times), and they even took a picture with me!  If you are in the area, go there, get a dog, and look for me on the wall!  Just some amazing people serving up fantastic food.  Gotta love it. 

The majority of the cast also attended an open mic night at a local bar, The Russian Lady.  Steve Benoit, Jam and Billy all got up and did a few original tunes and covers.  Kelly sang as well, and I decided to get up and do a couple.  It was great to hang out with everyone in a place like that and be able to yes, sing, but to do something very different than we all do in the show.  And quite frankly, Steve did the best cover of Neil Young's Heart of Gold that I've ever heard.  Complete with harmonica. 

So, that's about it for the events from Hartford.  I'm a little behind on my blog this week, as I write this to you on my final night in Providence, RI.  I will write one for this week as soon as I can....I've been a bit preoccupied with getting ready for the events of next week.....and now to let the cat out of the bag....

I'm heading to Phoenix, AZ tomorrow to premiere my Johnny Cash tribute show, Walkin' The Line.  I've been working on it for quite some time, so it's crazy to finally see it come to fruition.  Hopefully it will be well received, and I'll be posting clips from it once the week is over.  It's going to be a crazy, stressful, yet exciting week.  Thanks to those of you who keep reading, and again, I apologize for not having any direct pictures up there!  I'm trying to find out from Blogger what the problem is.  Anyway, enjoy, and I'll be back as soon as I can!  Wish me and my show luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment