Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"I went on, accidentally, in Minneapolis, Minnesota"....

What a crazy week.  Though, considering we are in the midst of our final show before our 2 week vacation, I guess I expected the week to be a little funky.  But still....kinda crazy. 

We flew in on Monday, and it was immediately cold.  We had just left KC, and it was beautiful weather there.....then we apparently stumbled into "Winter II: The Sequel".  However, the week started off well with a GREAT promo by the boys and m'am at the Mall Of America (videos below).  It was probably the best setup and response we've had thus far.  Besides that, it was great to get to walk around the biggest mall in the country. 

That night I headed to the theatre for our orientation as usual, and got to see and talk to our director, Eric Schaeffer (Mr. Phillips, as we call him) for a bit.  I was in the dressing room as usual, when I headed up to get some water at places.  I passed Chris in the hallway, and he didn't look good.  The next thing I knew, the announcement came over the monitors that he was out and I was on.......I FLEW down the stairs, and with the help of Susan (our awesome wardrobe/wig diva) and David and Krug our stage managers, I managed to get dressed, get my mic on, assemble my props and make it to stage left to start the show.  Phew.  I never would've been able to get ready in 15 minutes had it not been for their help, for which I am eternally greatful. 

The show went quite well that night, and as though the theatre gods were looking down on me, it was World Theatre Day.  Ha.  As the show neared the final curtain, I had the extreme pleasure to introduce W.S. Fluke Holland to join us onstage for the encore.  I'd watched Chris do it about 10 times, but standing onstage and shaking that man's hand as I gushed about his influence on me, music, and this magical night in history, I was very moved.  Following the show we had a wonderful opening night party featuring W.S. and his band!  I was brought to tears as he closed his performance, just as Johnny always did, with Ragged Old Flag.  And, the water works started again when I was introduced to his wife, who not only gushed about my peformance, but handed me a pair of autographed drumsticks.  Man, that was a great night. 

On Wednesday and Thursday, the Thunderstudies and I had rehearsal.  The first was for our new company member and Dyanne u/s for Toronto, et al, Katie Barton.  She watched Wednesday's rehearsal, and got her first crack at the role on Thursday.  Eric watched the rehearsal on Wednesday as well, and was very complimentary about my work the night before.  I was so surprised and pleased, I kinda floated through the next few days. 

So, Friday came around, and a bunch of us headed to the Mall Of America to do a bit of shopping and ride some rides.  Then, I got the surprise phone call that I would be on for Cash that night.  Thankfully, I had more than enought time to get the theatre, get into my wig and get ready.  Another great show and a great audience, followed by a really pleasant talkback after the show.  A few people in the audience gave me some very nice compliments; it was just the icing on the cake of a great week. 

The next couple of days paled in comparison the the craziness and excitement of the first few.  After a couple of great meals, laughs, drinks and goodbyes, we all made our seperate ways on Monday morning. 

I've been in Maine enjoying vacation for the last couple of days, and I'll be heading to pick Rachael up at the airport for our trip to DC this week!  So, enjoy this blog, because it'll be the last until the tour picks up again in Sacremento!  Have a good couple of weeks!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment