Sunday, January 25, 2015

The home of Otis and the Allman's, a quick stop in NC and some time in The Ole Dominion

It may not be the most "lawful" picture, but it's still pretty awesome

The Grand Opera House, Macon, GA

A tribute to the great Otis Redding in Macon

The Givens Performing Arts Center, UNC Pembroke

The gorgeous Altria Theater, Richmond, VA

The amazing Jefferson Hotel, Richmond, VA

Frace showing a positive attitude after our bus broke down outside of Atlanta 

A gorgeous shot of the Grand Opera House, thanks to Bryan Langlitz

H & H Restaurant, Macon, GA

Thanks for the love, MDQ social media and Type A Marketing!

Laura at sound check in Macon

The exterior of the Jefferson Hotel 

Sometimes Chuck gets confused...

My recreation of the Vanity Fair pictures, Richmond, VA 

Hello, folks and welcome back to my blog!  It's been a busy couple of weeks, so I am just now getting to post this blog.  I hope everyone has been having a good couple of weeks and staying warm in the frigid weather.  Here's what we have been up to on the MDQ National Tour! 

The week started off with an interesting twist as we made our way from Worcester.  We took a drive on the bus to Hartford, CT to fly into Atlanta.  Our flight was delayed a bit, but thankfully we didn't have any connections, so it didn't effect our travel too much.  Once we landed in ATL, it was a bit of a wait for our bus to arrive, so some of us got food and chatted while we waited.  The bus arrived, we loaded everything up, and not more than 10 minutes later we had broken down on the side of the road.  It seems there was a problem with the engine, but thankfully we were close to where the busses were kept.  We did have to wait about 45 minutes for a new one, so most of us got off the bus and stood out on the countryside (see the picture of Frace above).  We finally got back on our way, and arrived in Macon in the evening.  After getting settled and getting our rental cars I headed to Carraba's with Patrick, Colte, Laura, Skye, Jimmy and Gabe.  We chatted about theatre horror stories,  all of our collective experiences with MDQ, and just generally had a great time.  Following dinner, a few us hung out that evening at the hotel.  

Tuesday came, and thankfully we didn't have to be up early.  I slept in, and early in the afternoon greeted my dear friend Kira who came into town to see the show.  After a quick dinner, I headed to the theatre with the boys for opening night.  The Grand Opera House (above) was a gorgeous space, and the show sounded fantastic in it.  Following the show, the cast and crew headed to Buffalo Wild Wings, accompanied by Kira and another friend Whitney who had performed with me in Mary Poppins.  After some food and merriment, we all headed back to the hotel to hang out for the rest of the evening.  

Wednesday was surprisingly cold, but it didn't stop me from heading to downtown for pictures of some of the amazing architecture, a journey to the park that houses the Otis Redding statue pictured above, and also for some amazing southern home cookin' at a Georgia landmark, H & H Restaurant.  Made famous by the Allman Brothers, it was a great little place to get a bit at.  That night the boys and I headed back to the theatre for another great show with an audience to match.  With an early call the next day, most of us laid low after a quick hang out after the show.  

We made our way to Pembroke, NC on Thursday, and after a bit of time at the hotel we headed for our one show on the campus of UNC Pembroke, at the Givens Performing Arts Center (above).  It was a bit of a different show for us, given that it would mark the first time we wouldn't have our show drop, and our finale coats didn't fly in.  It was, however a great show, and the audience was fantastic.  Following the show we all went back to the hotel for a bit of a hang before another early bus ride in the morning.  

We embarked on Friday morning for Richmond, VA and arrived in the mid afternoon.  I walked around a bit after we got in, and took pictures of a few of the buildings, and particularly the amazing facade of the Altria Theater (above).  After a quick bit at Jimmy John's, I walked to the theatre to bask in yet another beautiful house.  Colte hadn't been feeling well, so Jimmy got the chance to go on for the first time on this leg of tour.  Also, Chuck had a bit of a problem with his bass... the bridge completely cracked, and he had to cart the entire thing off stage.  Thankfully our crew was on top of it, so he miraculously got the back up bass wired and walked back in the studio just in time to play his solo shortly before we sing Peace in the Valley. Other than that, our opening there went splendidly, and most of us headed to the gorgeous Jefferson Hotel (above) close to our hotel for a bite that evening.  I was joined by my friend Trish who played Mary Poppins!  She was in the area on the tour she is currently doing, so it was nice to spend some time with her.  

I was swung out on Saturday at the matinee, so it gave me a bit of time to stand back and watch Frace rock it out as Cash, and gave me the chance to do some much needed laundry.  Trish and I grabbed dinner at Penny Lane (a suggestion from a high school friend of mine); a nice little British pub, slathered in Beatles memorabilia.  Trish watched the show that night (no bass issues this time), and most of us headed back to Penny Lane that night for a bite and a cocktail.  In between shows, I was asked to use my camera to recreate a couple of pictures (above).  One of the guys on the local crew let Jake know that a couple of famous pictures of Elvis in Vanity Fair had indeed been taken in a stairwell at the Altria.  So, we waited for the light to be right, and I did my best to recreate the angles and poses.  I think they turned out pretty great, but then again, I had a lot to work with with my friends involved.  

After a few busy weeks, we were all glad that Sunday brought a drive to Wheeling, WV, but thankfully not a show.  Once we got in that evening, most of us went down to the hotel bar to watch the two NFL playoff games that were on.  After a yummy pizza from Papa John's and a hang with the cast and crew, I was ready for bed.  It was time for a day off.  

Well, that's all for this week's installment!  Thanks for tuning in yet again, and keep your eyes peeled for the next one soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment