Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"Hey, Santa Anna, we're killing your soldiers below, That men wherever they go, will Remember The Alamo"

Our promo over the Majestic Theatre marquee
 





 The beautiful Majestic Theatre
 




 Our hotel, the St. Anthony
 




















 
 
Hello, all! I hope everyone had a great week! I was battling with a cold, so unfortunately, I didn't get to see as much of San Antonio as I would have liked. But, I certainly did quite a bit considering how lousy I felt. In fact, a few people in the cast weren't feeling well this week. I hadn't been sick since we were in Japan last fall, so I was waiting for it to happen. And, like clockwork, it usually happens with a massive climate change. And that's what awaited us when we stepped off the plane from Memphis. It was in the low 80's in Texas, and it felt great. I think we have officially said goodbye to winter. And that, is a good thing.

We arrived at our hotel in the heart of downtown, very close to the River Walk, the historic St. Anthony.  With a lush lobby, and plenty of stories of hauntings, it was a definite change from the last few hotels we have been to.  Everyone from stars of stage and screen to past Presidents have stayed there, including John Wayne after the opening of his movie about the historic place around the corner, The Alamo. 

I wandered a bit when we got to town, and was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually knew the area relatively well from the few hours I had spent in San Antonio previously. I took a stroll along the River Walk, and without knowing it, stumbled upon the Hard Rock Cafe. Yet another few pins, and another Cafe to check off my list, though I had been there before. In my travels, as I walked around the square in front of the Alamo, I ran into David Sonneborn, and we decided to get some dinner. We took a leisurely walk back toward the hotel on the River Walk, and stopped in a great Mexican place called Acenar. Some of the best guacamole and chicken enchiladas I've ever had. Exactly what I needed to get me into a Texas state of mind.

The next morning, the Thunderstudy boys, Corey, Kelly and I headed to the GORGEOUS Majestic Theatre for a promo (pictures above, video below).  A crowd gathered below, and I think we put on a pretty great performance!  I kept making references to the Beatles last performance on a rooftop, and (I think) John saying "I hope we passed the audition"....no one really knew what I was talking about....oh well.  After the promo, I wandered all around the area taking pictures.  Especially of the historic theatres in the area: The Texas, The Empire (attached to the Majestic) and the Aztec.  The Texas theatre is no longer there, unfortunately, but the façade still exists.  And, it is quite spectacular.  As I was walking around, I started to feel a little funny.  And, of course, I started feeling ill.  So, I went home to rest, and then headed to the theatre for opening night that evening.  After an early night, I pretty much hibernated for the next day and a half.

We had what will probably be our last Thunderstudy rehearsal of tour on Thursday.  It was pretty crazy to think that we wouldn't all be together like this again; I mean, the end is approaching and we all know it, but it's little things like that that really make it sink in.  As usual, it was a lot of fun, and extremely productive. 

On Friday, I finally decided to drag myself out of bed and see the Alamo.  Having seen it a few years ago, and in my hazy state, I knew I wouldn't stay long. But even so, it is a pretty amazing place to visit. And, to know that it has been there and preserved for so long while San Antonio has built up around it is pretty amazing.

In between shows marked a momentous occasion: the first time I have thrown a baseball this year. Corey, Ben Eells and I all went to the park across the street from the hotel and threw the ball around for quite a while. I have to say (no offense to my old glove that I've had since I was about 13) I am in LOVE with my new 1st base mitt. It's a really great glove, and it makes me excited to use it. Hopefully we will have a few more opportunities to throw in the next few weeks.

By Sunday, I was feeling quite a bit better, though I was pretty bummed that the week had gotten away from me. After loading up on Vitamin C and cold medicine all week, I took myself back to Acenar in between shows for my first real meal all week since the last time I had eaten there. After the final show, I went out for a bit with some of the cast to a place around the corner from our hotel, and then joined Billy, Rosie, Ben and Corey on the roof (there was a patio...we weren't just randomly on the roof) for a mini guitar pull. Just hanging out in the nice weather and singing a couple of songs made me feel a lot better.

So, it's off to Austin, where I'm writing you from now. It has already been a pretty great week, and it's only Wednesday! So, look out for more pictures, video and tales from the live music capitol of the world next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment